Pages

Monday 4 March 2013

Race report - Althorp duathlon

The 2013 Althorp duathlon was a qualifier for the ITU (aka Worlds) and ETU (aka Europeans) Championships. It was originally scheduled for the 16th of February but was moved to the 2nd of March due to the flooding of transition. I had registered to qualify for both the Worlds in Ottawa and the Europeans in the Netherlands.

At the time of postponement I was a bit annoyed; I'd had a good week's training and followed it with a fairly scientific taper. Being away in Germany with work the week before was not ideal, but I was ready to race. Since then I'd managed another good week's training and another taper week.

I travelled up to the Northampton Hilton on the Friday evening. M25 was lumpy as usual. In the vein of Sir Dave Brailsford I'd even taken my own pillow so I would sleep better. Of course, it doesn't always work like that.

After a night of fitful sleep my phone alarm went off, but I did not receive my alarm call. Never mind. Up, showered and ate some pots of rice pudding I'd bought. Kit in the car over to the Althorp estate.




I was one of the first people there; transition was empty. I always build too much spare time in, but it is good to be early rather than late. I registered, had my hand marked, took a look around then started putting race numbers on the bike & race-belt. I then took the bike out for a spin. My legs felt very heavy, which was different to my last race. Upon returning I racked the bike and went for a quick run. Once again my legs felt heavy and I was beginning to worry. Of course, both warm-ups started with a 1km uphill!

Soon it was time to line up, and I started in the second row back from the front. The horn was off and we all moved forwards. Up the 1km hill, then left onto a grassing avenue. This had a slight incline then finished with a soft muddy area before turning right into a church yard. Most people were running along the grass rather than the gravel. Out of the church yard and back on to the road where we started to descent, albeit gradually. All this time I was losing places and felt like my heart was going to explode.
The run continued through Great Brington then rolled towards Little Brington. Here there was a course change due to waterlogging. A slight uphill along a track then a left turn on to a ~1.5km track. Finally a left turn in to the field at Althorp where we looped to make the distance, and then in to T1.

Helmet on, grabbed my bike and ran, across the mount line and on to the bike. Right foot went straight in and after some pedalling and effort the left foot was in. Again the first km was uphill. I don't recall much of the bike, other than noting that it was a nice fast rolling course. I had some trouble from my new trisuit and kept slipping back on the saddle. I was overtaking and being overtaken.
I was unhappy to see a fair amount of drafting. The course has some narrow winding roads so some bunching is to be expected, but once back on the open road it should not happen. I made a conscious effort throughout to be at least 7m  from the rider in front at all times. After some time we turned back towards transition, undulating up and down, then down a steep hill towards T2. Always fun trying to brake, stay upright and loosen shoes at the same time. In to T2, rack the bike, trainers on and off, then back to dump my gloves. A school boy error.

The second run was a repeat of the first, though of course it felt much harder. I pushed throughout, trying to bridge the gap between me and the guy in front, however I was on the edge. After lots of chasing I crossed the line, happy to have finished and wondering how soon we would get the official results.

76th overall and 20th M35-39. A very strong field, with most people trying to qualify for the Worlds or Europeans.

Total Time01:16:42
Stage - Run - Time00:18:43
Stage - Transition - Time00:00:40
Stage - Bike - Time00:36:51
Stage - Transition - Time00:00:39
Stage - Run - Time00:19:51

No comments:

Post a Comment